Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving from Us!

This Thanksgiving Poem was written in the forty's by Marian Douglas

A GOOD THANKSGIVING

Said Old Gentleman Gay, "On a Thanksgiving Day
If you want a good time, then give something away."

So he sent a fat turkey to Shoemaker Price
And the shoemaker said, "What a big bird" How nice!
And, since such a good dinner's before me, I ought
To give poor Widow Lee the small chicken I bought."

"This fine chicken, oh see?" said the pleased Widow Lee,
"And the kindness that sent it, how precious to me?
I would like to make someone happy as I--
I'll give Washerwoman Biddy my big pumpkin pie."

"And oh sure!" Biddy said. "Tis the queen of all pies!
Just to look at its yellow face gladdens my eyes!
Now it's my turn, I think; and a sweet ginger cake
For the motherless Finnigan children I'll bake."

"A sweet cake all our own! Tis too good to be true!"
Said the Finnigan children, Rose, Denny and Hugh;
"It smells sweet of spice and we'll carry a slice
To poor little lame Jake, who has nothing that's nice."

"Oh what a bootiful, bootiful, bootiful cake!
And so such a big slice! I will save all the crumbs
And will give 'em to each little sparrow that comes!"
And the sparrows they twittered, as if they would say:

Like Old Gentleman Gay, "On Thanksgiving Day,
If you want a good time, then give something away!

No comments:

Post a Comment