Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Quick Word

I am packed and ready to take my almost 2 year old cutie on a plane to go to a funeral, have dinner with a wonderful friend, spend the night and then fly back to good ole O-H-I-O. And NO it is not a family member...per say....

Almost 14 years ago one woman was all that I had to look after me when I left my home, and home church for parts unknown. As a freshman I was dumb, bull-headed, and very tom-boyish. My dorm Mom almost seemed to not notice. She loved me, prayed for me, and even put almost all of my earthly possessions into "lost and found" when I left them out in the dorm......because she wanted to help me be better......she invested in my life, as insignificant as it may have seemed to the zillions of girls who have crossed her path.


But for me, any investment in my life is worth far more to me than a pricey plane ticket bought last minute due to her unknown meeting with the Lord. That investment is why I am flying to see her family and to just look them in the eye and thank them for sharing her life with mine, making mine more worthwhile.

The Summer before my Sophomore year I ended up in the hospital with an emergency appendectomy. My appendix had burst leaving me with an almost fatal infection to deal with. I was far from home, and when I awoke from the surgery, she was there at my bedside. She stayed with me all through the night as I begged for ice chips which were the only thing I could have for several days. She answered me sweetly all through that long night when I asked if my parents were coming......"Yes," she would answer me...."They are on their way, and will be here soon." That is why I leave my kiddos with a sitter and spend a brief service thanking the Lord for her kindness to me.

Has someone invested in you? Have they wept over you, prayed for you, sent you words of encouragement when everyone else had given up on your soul?


Thank them while they are still in the land of the living.


Thank you Mrs. Leslie. Thank you for making my life better.

No comments:

Post a Comment