Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I like the Simple Life

So.

So I  had the opportunity to speak to some sweet ladies in NY last week.

Yeah I know I kinda just jumped in there without updating you on how we are settling in.

We are. Slowly.

And while I was living life off of the blog, it apparently reinvented itself and I am slow to catch up. I am typing in a new window which I do and do not like.

Anywho....

I was also able to hug on some besties while in NY and just could not persuade their husbands to let me adopt them and bring them home with me for good.

Well there's always next visit.

And I have turned the big 35 since we met last.

Yeah lot of excitement here.

Like "one year closer to Ensure" excitement.

My theme for the year will be "Thirty-five and still alive."

I think it quite catchy personally. And it is more applicable than you may believe on nights when the dog has messed and the kids need baths and I am reaching for yet again one more pound of ground venison wondering if my food would be craved as a last meal for a dying man like Jacob craved Esau's savory meat.

not.so.much.

But I am counting my blessings and eliminating sugar from my diet, yes you can actually do both at the same time, and glad to be in the center of God's will.

And this week Joel took me to Amish country for the day, and it was lovely.

And after the umpteenth time seeing a "Live Simply" sign painted on something my mind had finally had enough!

What does that mean anyway, because the last time I checked people loved their smart phones and weren't on a waiting list to turn their front loader in for a ringer washer.

No one was sharing online recipes for 30 ways to eat beans.

Well now that I think of it maybe they are.......

Last I saw, the kindles were still replacing real books and fast food was still making millions. Interestingly enough the people who smile at their "live simply" sign as they was the dishes are the ones keeping KFC in business.

Does "live simply" mean stop adding more friends on facebook, grow your own garden, make your own laundry soap? Does it mean cut back on extracurricular activities for the kids, stay home more, rent from redbox more?

Just makes me plain mad. And saying "plain" mad just makes me feel simpler.

(chuckle)

Do you think that the Amish have a "Live Simply" sign in their house? Written in German of course.....

Do you think they just wish they could just keep their clothes together with hand spun twine instead of metal straight pins? Use less hairspray for their buns? Stop buying black high tops?

And when I can stop laughing and control my fingers once again, I will resume typing.........

See what I mean?

One person's "Live Simply" is another man's "Amish."

I don't sweat over the meaning of life, I sweat over the meaning of "Live Simply!"

I think it's a conspiracy to divert us from actually finding JFK's real assassin. (Oh my it is good to be blogging again...... little brain dialogue for ya)

And in trying to "Live Simply" we are caught in yet another go around of the "I need to be more like THAT Mom, Wife, Mother, Friend, etc."

I mean where else do we learn to "Live Simply" if not watching someone else and learning from them?

Yes you may close your laptop and go outside for a scream. And you may even come back if you like. I will be dusting my own "Live Simply" wooden plaque and will not even know.

And today as I muse about living simply the Lord takes my hand and leads me back to Micah 6:8
"He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

I love that it is phrased as a question. Kindov like me telling my 2 1/2 year old, "Haven't I told you that if you eat too much candy you won't be hungry when dinner is ready?"

And she, face full of sucker that dripped on her white shirt, nods.

And I nod, because again and again and again and too many more times for me to confess to, I am thinking that I need too much, need to accomplish too much........to much.

And again the "To list," the "Live Simply" wooden plaque is replaced with a post-it sized list of things from He who holds my existence in His hands.

He says: do justly.

Do what is right in every situation, be it kids, hubby, work, dealings with people, financially, everywhere. Do what is right.

He says: love mercy.

Give mercy freely because the merciful will find mercy when they need it. Give it to your kids who disobey you, your husband who hurts your feelings, to your friends who disappoint you and everyone else you come in contact with.

He says: walk humbly.

Walk. He doesn't say kneel humbly, but walk, with shows me that this is ongoing, not a one time fits all of life moment. As you do all things, as you have a relationship with God, be humble. Know who you are and who He is. Know that you can do nothing without Him. Nothing.

So in a nutshell, "Live Simply" simply means, throw out your own set of guidelines, goals and expectations and grab hold of His.


At least that is what I am going to do.

Have a blessed "simple" day friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment